I think that the iPOD just may be the third greatest invention of the 20th AND 21st centuries. (Under-wire bras and Diet Coke claim first and second places, respectively.) I love the whole concept of the iPOD-its compact design, its easy portability, the immense amount of music it is capable of housing, yada, yada, yada.
Have you ever heard the catchy ad for Capital One-“What’s In Your Wallet?” I’ve got a great take on that-“What’s On Your iPOD?” I think the answer to that question just might say a lot about someone. Here is a sample of what’s on my iPOD:
1. Bruce Springsteen. I LOVE Bruce Springsteen. I have 21 Bruce songs on my Nano. (No other artist or group has that many downloads. )
2. The vast majority of the artists listed in my library are African-American. They include Prince, Babyface, Michael Jackson and little sis, Janet, Luther Vandross, 50 Cent, Kanye West and many more. (I am an equal opportunity downloader.)
3. In addition to Rock, R&B and Hip Hop, my musical taste also includes Country. (I may have just lost a few readers here.) I dig the song, “I Love This Bar“ by Toby Keith and I don’t even drink!
4. I am into some of the new, younger, hip sounds from Coldplay, John Mayer and Mat Kearney. (Pretty cool for a woman of a “certain age!”)
5. I like strong, feisty women who sing. Think Pink and Joan Jett. (Love Ms. Jett’s first name!)
6. Of course, no REAL list would be complete without classic rock. I like to rock out to The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Steve Miller and The Beatles, to name a few. Have I mentioned The Boss, Bruce Springsteen????
7. Last, but not least, are two of my favorite songs and the artists who sing them. (These are the ones my family can play at my memorial service as people file past my casket and look over poster boards splattered with old photos.) They are, “What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong and “Imagine” by John Lennon.
After reading the above summary of my iPOD library, one might conclude the following about the keeper of this device:
The owner is female (hint #1-Luther Vandross). She is middle-aged (hint #2-The Rolling Stones). She might be a lesbian OR she just has really short hair (hint #3-Feisty Female Rock Stars). She lived in Texas for 21 years (hint #4-She likes country), but was originally from somewhere in the Midwest or Northeast (hint#5-That New Jersey rocker, Bruce Springsteen). Lastly, her father was a devotee of Glenn Miller, Dixieland bands and Jazz, and blasted this music on the turntable every Sunday morning (hint #6-Louis Armstrong).
What’s on your iPOD, or more importantly, what does your iPOD say about you?